6 May 2011

Daffodils




There is a pot of yellow daffodils on my window sill.
The edges are turning brown, and curling, and beginning to flake and
crack, like snakeskin.
But they stand tall and proud on my window sill, bringing a slice of spring
inside.

The middle of the petals are a creamy yellow,
a dreamy yellow.
and when I wake from my cocoon,
my crysalis of quilt, and the sun is mumuring,
humming round the heavy hanging curtains,
I see the crisp cracks of the edges of the yellow daffodils
on the window sill.

And last night, as I shed my clothes
like a lizard shedding old skin,
I see the daffodils are gone, and all that is left
is a ring on the wood
of my window sill.
But look closer, and there is a pile
of nutmeg coloured dust on the swept floor.

And I smile, and I know
in two years I will leave the cocoon of Bristol
and my life here.
And I too will be taken away and start again
with a new skin.
But I will leave a ring from many mugs of tea on my bedside table
beside the window sill.

No comments:

Post a Comment